GENERAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
Personal Statement Essay
Each application must include an essay customized for the specific program to which you are applying. It is best to have both an expert in your field (a faculty member) and an editor to read the essay to ensure it is well-written and free of errors. Consultants in the Writing Center
are available to help you during all stages of composing your personal statement. What is a Personal Statement
At least one official transcript from each institution you have attended will be required for your graduate program application. Most institutions require transcripts to be sent directly to the designated department within the Graduate School office. UW Bothell transcripts can be ordered online through MyUW
Letters of Recommendation
Depending on the program, you will likely need at least three letters of recommendation
to support your graduate school application. At least one of your recommenders should be faculty in your academic discipline. Follow all application instructions carefully.
Many professional schools require an interview as part of the application process, so it is important to determine the appropriate academic emphasis and be prepared to clearly articulate how you match the program goals.
Standardized Entrance Exam
Some programs require scores from an entrance exam, others do not. Below is a list of the most common exams with the fields that typically require each test:
Tips for current undergraduate students:
- Begin the application process early by researching programs and preparing for any standardized tests in advance. Applications for programs will often be due as early as one year in advance of the start of the program.
- If possible, ask for letters of recommendation from your professors while you are still enrolled.
- Compile writing samples in a portfolio that demonstrates your research capabilities.
- Become involved with undergraduate research opportunities, conference presentations and professional publications.
- Eight Tips for Getting Into Graduate School